World Cleanup Day is a global social action program aimed at combating the global solid waste problem, including the problem of marine debris . The next global World Cleanup Day is September 15, 2018 , beginning at 10 am, and spanning the world’s time zones in Hawaii. It is typically held over the course of a 24-hour period in September, on an annual basis. There are numerous organizations that facilitate and host World Cleanup Day events globally. Like Earth Day , World Cleanup Day is non-partisan, apolitical, and is not affiliated with any national or global political party or discrete ideology .
Global cleanup efforts have occurred in many forms throughout the world, especially during widespread disasters such as earthquakes, floods, and widespread tsunamis.  In modern history, these efforts have been undertaken by international organizations such as the Red Cross , Oxfam , and other relief organizations in typically post-conflict zones. They have included efforts to remove land mines , beach cleanup , and other municipal and non-governmental actions.
One of the largest organizers of global cleanup efforts is Let’s Do It! World . Founded in Estonia, the organization successfully mobilized more than 50,000 volunteers for a single-day, country-wide cleanup effort that resulted in the elimination of 10,000 tons of illegal waste. The Estonian action, called Let’s Do It 2008 emerged as a global model, spreading globally thereafter. Today, the movement has grown into a network of 113 countries. All together, more than 14.5 million participants have been engaged in movement’s activities.
Participants in the World Cleanup Days are typically volunteers , with coordination of non-governmental organizations who assist in raising awareness, logistics, and fundraising.
List of World Cleanup Days
- Let’s Do It 2008
- World Cleanup Day 2018 (September 15, 2018) with the goal of engaging 5% of the world’s population in a one-day cleanup.  
- The Ocean Cleanup
- 5 Gyres , 5 Gyres is an organization aimed at reducing plastics pollution.
- Jump up^ [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/dec/23/2004-tsunami-five-years-onAfter the 2004 tsunami: rebuilding lives, salvaging communities, The Guardian], accessed 05-03 -2017
- Jump up^ [https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-cleanup-day-2018/x/2681806#/World Cleanup Day 2018 – Organization Information], accessed 05-03-2017
- Jump up^ [https://www.letsdoitworld.org/about/overview/world-cleanup-day-2018/World Cleanup Day 2018 – Let’s Do It World], accessed 05-03-2017