William C. Rodgers (also known as Bill Rodgers and Avalon ) (died December 21, 2005) was an environmental activist , an activist and a co-owner of the Catalyst Infoshop in Prescott, Arizona , USA. He Was one of six environmental activists arrested This December 7, 2005 as share of the FBI ‘s Operation Backfire . His charge was a count of arson for a June, 1998 fire set by the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) at the National Wildlife Research Center in Olympia, Washington. He was found dead in his jail cell on December 21, 2005. According to police, Rodgers committed suicide using a plastic bag . 
Rodgers first adopted deep ecology style thinking and engaged in Earth First! activism at Mt. Graham telescope project protests of the early 1990s in Arizona. He lived out of his Toyota 4×4 as he traveled North America’s wild lands and became involved in many Earth First demonstrations of that time. Rogers was one of the few long-term activists to camp in snow caves in central Idaho’s deepest wilderness during the 1994/1995. 
Avalon beyond the civil disobedience activism of Earth First! . [ citation needed ] EF civil style disobedience was at the time being under consideration as possible terrorism by the US Congress in hearings of select subcommittees. Avalon was a long term Earth First! activist, one of the occupying activists of the Cove / mallard timber protests for years and being one of 4 which constantly camped out in snow-caves monitoring the only logging of Noble Road in the winter of January to March 1995 in 12-foot deep snow and sub-zero time. After witnessing the destruction of “America’s Amazon Jungle” where for hundreds of miles around was wild mountainous forests, Avalon became disenfranchised with mere civil-disobedience tactics and became radicalized.  [ better source needed ] Avalon briefly secluded himself in spring of 1995 only to reappear at the Earth’s first 11-month-long occupation of the Warner Creek timber or ‘Free Cascadia’ gold in Oregon. During these times Avalon always spoke of being a witness for the defenseless and was a peaceful presence.
While participating in the occupation of Warner Creek Oregon, Rogers first named Jacob Ferguson aka “Donut,” the FBI informing against this cell of Earth’s Liberation Front activists, to avoid prison time for heroin possession. Ironically, Rodgers openly debated with other radical environmentalists against the effectiveness of targeted property destruction operations, during the mid-90’s.
ELF and later
Between 1996 and 2001 the ELF Cell Rogers has been involved in the fight against the West. 
Rodgers wrote an article for the first diary about the drug and how it was used. [ quote needed ]
After an action involving burning SUVs in March 2001, the police become suspicious of ELF cell member Ferguson. Rogers, worried of getting caught and tired of infighting, moved to Prescott, Arizona.
In 2004, Rogers co-founded the Catalyst Infoshop with Katie Rose Nelson. 
Arrest and Death
Rodgers was arrested in an FBI raid on December 7, 2005 at the Catalyst Infoshop. The FBI was working on information provided by Ferguson, to inform from the same ELF cell as Rodgers. 
Rodgers wrote a suicide note  which he wrote to a number of his friends:
To my friends and to help them make sense of all these events that have happened so quickly: Some human cultures have been waging war against the Earth for millennia. I can fight on the side of bears, mountain lions, skunks, bats, saguaros, pink cliff and all things wild. I am just the most recent casualty in that war. But tonight I have made a jail break I am returning home, to the Earth, to the place of my origins. Bill, 12/21/05 (the winter solstice.)
The FBI HAS Claimed That Rodgers Was a criminal “mastermind” and the anonymous author of Setting Fire with Electrical Timers, an Earth Liberation Front Guide ,  qui Explained in detail how to create an incendiary deviceKnown as a “cat’s cradle”. Authorities said that they have not been able to do so when they have been in charge of the ELF cell connected to Rodgers was responsible for an arson.
Rodgers has had a continuing impact on various anarchist and radical environmentalist movements. A number of acts have been dedicated to his memory. Among the beats from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the Independent University of Madrid  and the Burning of a Partial Construction in Guelph , Ontario , Canada. 
- Rod Coronado
- Green anarchism
- Green Scare
- Jump up^ “Bill Rodgers Remembering: Long Live Avalon!” . Slingshot. Archived from the original on 2006-06-22 . Retrieved 2006-07-09 .
- Jump up^ Tree Huggers: Victory, Defeat & Renewal in the Northwest Ancient Forest Campaign. author Kathie Durbin. 1996 p269-271,288.
- Jump up^ “Acts of eco-terrorism by radical environmental organizations: hearing before the Subcommittee on Crime of the Committee on the Judiciary, House of Representatives, One Hundred Fifth Congress, second session, June 9, 1998” . USGPO 1 January 2000 – via Google Books.
- Jump up^ William C. Rodgers
- Jump up^ “Earth Liberation Front (ELF)” .
- Jump up^ Associated Press 05/24/2007 by Jeff Barnard
- ^ Jump up to:a b c GRIGORIADIS, VANESSA. “The Rise and Fall of the Eco-Radical Underground” . Rolling Stone . Retrieved 3 May 2015 .
- Jump up^ Operation Backfire: The Feds Make a Monstrous Move, Green Anarchy , 24 June 2006.
- Jump up^ Prosecutors portray close-knit arson team,The Seattle Times, January 21, 2006.
- Jump up^ 28 beagles by ALF,Bombs and Shields, 12 January 2006.
- Jump up^ Anti-Sprawl ELF Action in Memory by William Rodgers,Mostly Water, 10 February 2006.