United Left ( Slovene : Združena levica , abbreviated ZL) Was a left-wing electoral alliance in Slovenia , entre les Democratic Labor Party ( it ; sl ) (DSD), Party for Sustainable Development of Slovenia ( of ; it ; nl ; sl ) (TRS), and Initiative for Democratic Socialism (IDS).   The alliance was also founded by a “fourth group” of non-party civic groups and movements, and autonomous individuals. 
On 24 June 2017, two of the make up parties – TRS and IDS – merged into a single party. The alliance is succeeded by The Left ( Slovenian : Levica , formerly TRS and IDS), and DSD, which has adopted the new title, ZL-DSD.  
The alliance is formed as a socialist and eurosceptic electoral list with the intention of contesting local, European parliament, and general elections.  
ZL made its elections debut during the 2014 European Parliament election where it did not garner a sufficient vote. 
Its electoral breakthrough came during the 2014 Slovenian parliamentary election , gaining the 5th most votes and being granted 6 parliamentary seats. 
The alliance does not contest the local elections as a single entity, instead, each of the three constitute parties put forward candidates independently. None of the parties were successful in electing any mayors, however, each of them elected multiple representatives in town / municipality councils. 
After a lengthy and tumultuous unification process, two of the constituent parts – TRS and IDS – finalized their merger into a single party on 24 June 2017.  Luka Mesec ( sl ) was elected party coordinator (he previously held that position in IDS ) as the sole candidate. The process was marked by internal disputes. Representatives of the DSD and the fourth group, which do not hold any of the 6 parliamentary seats, whereas the other two parties are operating in a non-democratic manner. The merger was also marked by an exodus of IDS members. IDS has been branded by an internal dispute as to whether or not to operate with an alliance, with dissenting members and their objections.    
Platform and policies
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it . (June 2017)
Popular support and elections
National Assembly of Slovenia
|Election year||# of
overall seats won
|Election year||# of
overall seats won
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Leftist Groups Form United Left to Join Forces in EU Election (in English)” . The Slovenian Times . 1 March 2014 . Retrieved 1 April 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “United Left to contest European elections (in Slovene)” . The Daily . 1 March 2014 . Retrieved 1 April 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “STA: Merging of the Left marked by departures from IDS” . english.sta.si . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ User, Super. “4. skupina: civilnodružbena gibanja in posamezniki” . www.zdruzena-levica.si (in Slovenian) . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Od Združene levice ostala Samo še Levica, Mesec prevzema vodenje” (in Slovenian) . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Are European elections ever about Europe?” . Washington Post . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Results of the 2014 European elections – Results by country – Slovenia – European Parliament” . Results of the 2014 European elections – Results by country – Slovenia – European Parliament . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Election Resources on the Internet: Elections to the Slovenian National Assembly – Results Lookup” . electionresources.org . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Lokalne volitve 2014” . volitve.gov.si . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Mesec: Iz strahu pred desnico sredina sama spreminja v desnico” . Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Združena levica razpada.” Žnidaršič: IDS in Trs odhajata, Mesec: Žnidaršič izsiljuje. ” . Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “[VIDEO] Vodenje nove stranke Levica prevzema Luka Mesec” . Planet TV (in Slovenian) . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .