The Left ( Slovenian : Levica ) is a political left-wing party in Slovenia . The party is 24 June Was Established in 2017 by the merger of the Party for Sustainable Development of Slovenia ( of ; it ; nl ; sl ) (TRS) and Initiative for Democratic Socialism (IDS). The party is a successor of the left-wing electoral alliance , the United Left . 
United left Was the year electoral alliance entre Democratic the Labor Party ( it ; sl ) (DSD), Party for Sustainable Development of Slovenia ( of ; it ; nl , sl ) (TRS) and Initiative for Democratic Socialism (IDS).   The alliance was also founded by a “fourth group” of non-party civic groups and movements, and autonomous individuals.  It was intended to provide an alternative to the mainstream political establishment2011 Slovenian parliamentary elections , and serve as an outlet for the ideas of the 2012-13 Slovenian protests (termed “Pan-Slovenian uprisings”  in Slovene).  After a lengthy unification process, two of the allied parties merged into a single entity.
The merger was finalized on 24 June 2017, when the first party was held. The merger is accompanied by an exodus of IDS members who hitherto opposed the unification.  In keeping with IDS custom, [ citation needed ] the leading party holds the title of “coordinator”. During the founding party congress , Luka Mesec ( sl ) Was Elected as coordinator (a position he Previously Held in IDS) and Violeta Tomič ( sl ) (previously leader of TRS  ) Was Elected deputy coordinator.  
On July 5, 2017, Matjaž Hanžek ( sl ) left the parliamentary group to become an unaffiliated MP, thus leaving the party with only 5 parliamentary seats. He quoted the “incorrect and undemocratic” unification process as the main reason for his departure. He expressed his wish to continue his work as a member of the parliamentary investigative committee looking into the affair (United Left Initiative spearheaded by Hanžek).    He was the founder  and previously served as the leader of TRS,  but he stepped down  and later also left the party prior to unification. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b “STA: Merging of the left marked by departures from IDS” . english.sta.si . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Leftist Groups United Left to Join Forces in EU Election (in English)” . The Slovenian Times . 1 March 2014 . Retrieved 1 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ “United Left to contest European elections (in Slovene)” . The Daily . 1 March 2014 . Retrieved 1 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ User, Super. “4. skupina: civilnodružbena gibanja in posamezniki” . www.zdruzena-levica.si (in Slovenian) . Retrieved 2017-06-25 .
- Jump up^ “Photo: Največja vseslovenska vstaja do zdaj, Protestiralo 20,000 ljudi.” . Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija . Retrieved 2017-07-01 .
- Jump up^ “Levice ni več, zato je tu nova levica” . www.delo.si . Retrieved 2017-07-01 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Violeta Tomić odslej na čelu stranke Trs” . www.delo.si . Retrieved 2017-07-05 .
- Jump up^ “Mesec: Iz strahu pred desnico is sredina sama spreminja v desnico” . Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija . Retrieved 2017-06-26 .
- Jump up^ “Od Združene Levice ostala Samo Levica, Mesec prevzema vodenje” (in Slovenian) . Retrieved 2017-06-26 .
- Jump up^ “Matjaž Hanzek zapušča poslansko skupino Levice | Dnevnik” . www.dnevnik.si . Retrieved 2017-07-05 .
- Jump up^ “Združena levica s podpisi za preiskavo o odgovornosti politik pri Teš 6” (in Slovenian) . Retrieved 2017-07-12 .
- Jump up^ “Hanžek: Sooner or later a connection between affairs and politics :: Prvi interaktivni multimedijski portal, MMC RTV Slovenija” . www.rtvslo.si . Retrieved 2017-07-12 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “IDS in TRS is bosta v kratkem zlili v eno stranko – ZL” . www.delo.si . Retrieved 2017-07-05 .
- Jump up^ “Matjaž Hanzek ostaja predsednik stranke TRS” . www.delo.si . Retrieved 2017-07-05 .
- Jump up^ “Skupna pot Združene levice misija nemogoče | Dnevnik” . dnevnik.si . Retrieved 2017-07-05 .