Tar Sands Blockade is a grassroots coalition of affected Texas and Oklahoma people and climate justice organizers who use peaceful and sustainable civil disobedience to stop the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline. Tar Sands Blockade has used non-violent direct action to stop the construction of the East Texas pipeline including banner drops , lockdowns , and tree sits .   They are best known for a large scale tree sit outside Winnsboro, Texas .   
Political and Environmental Issues
TransCanada , a multinational corporation , is currently building the Gulf Coast Project section of the Keystone XL with the Go ahead of the Obama administration .  This section of the pipeline runs from Oklahoma through East Texas into the Gulf. Anti-XL pipeline activists and environmental organizations claim probable pipe spillage threatens ground waters, ecosystems , surrounding lands, employment, and the economy.   The pipeline crosses 631 streams and wetlands in Texas alone, including not only the Sulfur River, but the entire Carrizo-Wilcox Aquifer, which is the water supply for 12 million homes in East Texas. 
A whistleblower , Evan Vokes, cam forwarded about TransCanada in mid-October, 2012, claiming confirmed allegations of regulatory non-compliance. 
- Jump up^ “Tar Sands Blockade Drops Banners to Expose Keystone XL Construction” . Cherokeean Herald. 2012-08-15 . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Wilder, Forrest (2012-08-16). “Activists Launch Keystone XL Blockade in East Texas” . Texas Observer . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Fabrikant, Mel (2012-09-24). “Eight People Climb Trees And Start Indefinite Tree Sit To Stop TransCanada’s Keystone XL Construction In Texas” . The Paramus Post . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Shauk, Zain (2012-09-24). “Protesters in Texas climb trees to block pipeline work” . The Houston Chronicle . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Frosch, Dan (2012-10-12). “Last-Ditch Bid in Texas to Try to Stop Oil Pipeline” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ “Keystone XL Pipeline” . The New York Times . 2012-03-22 . Retrieved 2012-11-11 .
- Jump up^ Skinner, Lara. “Cornell GLI Releases Report on Employment and Economic Impacts of Tar Sands Spills” . Cornell University Global Labor Institute .
- Jump up^ Skinner, Lara. “The impact of tar sands pipeline spills on employment and the economy” (PDF) . Cornell University Global Labor Institute .
- Jump up^ Mitchell, Kenny (2012-07-24). “Tar Sands in the Basin: Politics and Protests” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2012-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Rusnell, Charles (2012-10-17). “Whistleblower forced investigation of TransCanada Pipelines” . CBC News . Retrieved 2012-12-17 .