Shane Claiborne (born July 11, 1975) is a Christian activist and author who is a leading figure in the New Monasticism movement and one of the founding members of the intentional community , the Simple Way , in Philadelphia , Pennsylvania.   Claiborne is also a social activist, advocating for nonviolence and service to the poor. He is the author of the book, The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical . 
Claiborne grew up in East Tennessee.  His father, who was a veteran war veteran, died when Shane was 9 years old. A graduate of Eastern University , where he studied sociology and youth ministry, Claiborne did his final academic work for Eastern University at Wheaton College in Illinois . While at Wheaton, Claiborne did internship at Willow Creek Community Church. He has done some graduate work at Princeton Theological Seminary , but took a leave of absence, and is now part of The Alternative Seminary in Philadelphia. 
Claiborne worked alongside Mother Teresa during a 10-week term in Calcutta .  He Has written about how His work with Mother Teresa Impacted _him_ and made _him_ Realize the need to support has Consistent life ethic , to protect all human life from conception to natural death.  He spent three weeks in Baghdad with the Iraq Peace Team (IPT), a project of Voices in the Wilderness and Christian Peacemaker Teams .  He was witness to the military bombing of Baghdad and the militarized areas between Baghdad and Amman. As a member of IPT, Claiborne took a trip to the site, visited hospitals and families, and attended worship services during the war. He also continues to serve as a board member for the nation’s Christian Community Development Association, which was founded by the authors and community developers John Perkins and Wayne Gordon. 
On June 20, 2007, a seven-alarm fire at the abandoned warehouse The Simple Way Community Center where Claiborne lived.  He lost all of his possessions in the fire.  The Simple Way immediately up to donations to help those who have lost their homes in the fire. 
Claiborne is featured in the documentary The Ordinary Radicals , and co-directed the volume Another World is Possible DVD series. Claiborne wrote the foreword to Ben Lowe’s 2009 book Green Revolution: Coming Together to Care for Creation .
In 2011 he has appeared on both sides of the TV show “Red Letter Christians” with Tony Campolo .  That year also, he declared his unwillingness to pay taxes to fund US military activity. He withheld a portion of his income taxes corresponding to the percentage of the federal budget spent on the military, donating that money instead to charity. He wrote a public letter to the Internal Revenue Service to explain his decision. 
On May 7, 2011, married Shane Claiborne Katie Jo Brotherton. 
On January 26, 2016 Executing Grace – How the Death Penalty Killed Jesus and Why It’s Killing Us . It makes a case for the death penalty by John Perkins , Philip Yancey and Desmond Tutu , among others. 
- Executing Grace – The Penalty Killed Jesus and Why It’s Killing Us (Harper Collins, 2016) ISBN 978-0-06-234737-4
- The Irresistible Revolution – Updated 10th Anniversary Edition (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2016) ISBN 0-310-34370-4
- Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals , with Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove and Okoro Enuma (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2010) ISBN 0-310-32619-2
- “What If Jesus Meant All That Stuff?” (Esquire Magazine, November 18, 2009) 
- Follow Me To Freedom: Leading and Following an Ordinary Radical , with John Perkins (Regal Books, 2009) ISBN 0-8307-5120-3
- Jesus for President: Politics for Ordinary Radicals , with Chris Haw (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008) ISBN 0-310-27842-2
- Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove (InterVarsity, 2008) ISBN 0-8308-3622-5
- The Irresistible Revolution: Living as a Radical Ordinary (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006) ISBN 0-310-26630-0
- Iraq Journal 2003 (Doulos Christou, 2006) ISBN 0-9744796-7-5
- Simple living
- Jump up^ “How to Derail the New Monasticism An Interview with Shane Claiborne”. patheos.com . Retrieved May 25, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “The New Monasticism | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction” . Christianity Today. February 9, 2005 . Retrieved August 12,2011 .
- Jump up^ “The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical: Shane Claiborne, Jim Wallis: 0025986266301: Amazon.com: Books” . Retrieved May 25, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Shane Claiborne – Fundamentalism” . Youtube. October 29, 2008 . Retrieved August 12, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Teachers / Facilitators” . History and Mission . The Alternative Seminary. Retrieved August 22, 2016 .
- Jump up^  ArchivedJune 10, 2008, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “A New Pro Life Movement – Consistent Life Blog” . February 14, 2017 . Retrieved March 2, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Goldberg, Michelle (April 24, 2003). “Dodging bombs for peace – Salon.com” . Dir.salon.com . Retrieved August 12, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “shane claiborne | Shane’s Bio” . the simple way . Retrieved August 12,2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Their lives shattered Kensington after-fire” . Philly.com. January 21, 2008 . Retrieved August 12, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Nonprofit starts two relief funds for fire victims” . Philly.com. June 22, 2007 . Retrieved August 12, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “RLC on TV – Red Letter Christians” . Red Letter Christians . Retrieved May 25, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “My Easter Letter to the IRS” Huffington PostApril 11, 2011
- Jump up^ Althoff, Allison. “Shane & Katie Claiborne: A Love Story” . Christianity Today . Retrieved January 12, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Executing Grace official site
- Jump up^ “Shane Claiborne – Letter to Non-Believers by Shane Claibourne” . Esquire. November 18, 2009 . Retrieved August 12, 2011 .