Rosemary Radford Ruether (born November 2, 1936) is an American feminist scholar and Catholic theologian. 
An advocate of women’s ordination , a movement among Catholic religious persons who affirms women’s ability to serve as priests, despite official sanction. Since 1985 Ruether has been a member of the pro-choice group ” Catholics for Choice ” (CFC). 
Ruether Was Born in 1936 in St. Paul, Minnesota ,  to a Roman Catholic mother and Episcopal father. She has reportedly described her upbringing as free-thinking and humanistic as opposed to oppressive.  Ruether’s father died when she was 12 and afterwards.
She is married to the political scientist Herman Ruether.  They have three children and live in California. 
Ruether holds a BA in Philosophy from Scripps College (1958), MA in Ancient History (1960) and a Ph.D. in Classics and Patristics (1965) from Claremont Graduate School in Claremont, California .
She is Visiting Professor of Religion and Feminist Theology at Claremont School of Theology and Claremont Graduate University . Her first appointment was as professor at Howard University in Washington DC from 1965 to 1975. She was Carpenter Professor of Feminist Theology at the Pacific School of Religion and Graduate Theological Union , and retired from her long-term post as Georgia Harkness Professor of Applied Theology at the Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary .  Ruether is the author of 36 books and over 600 articles on feminism, eco-feminismthe Bible and Christianity. 
In 1977, Ruether became an associate of the Women’s Institute for Freedom of the Press (WIFP).  WIFP is an American nonprofit publishing organization. The organization works to increase communication between women and the public with forms of women-based media.
On January 22, 2000 Ruether received an honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Theology at Uppsala University , Sweden . 
- The Church Against Itself , New York, 1967, Herder and Herder.
- Gregory of Nazianzus . Oxford: 1969, Oxford University Press.
- The Radical Kingdom, New York: Paulist Press , 1970 ISBN 0809118601
- Faith and fratricide: the theological roots of anti-Semitism . New York 1974, Seabury Press, ISBN 978-0-8164-2263-0 .
- “Courage to Christian Virtue” in Cross Currents , Spring 1983, 8-16
- Sexism and God-Talk: Towards a Feminist Theology , Beacon Press (1983) ISBN 0-8070-1205-X
- Gaia and God: An Ecofeminist Theology of Earth Healing , Harper-Collins (1994) ISBN 978-0-06-066967-6 , ASIN 0-06-066967-5
- In Our Own Voices: Four Centuries of American Women’s Sacred Writing , Harper-Collins (1996) ISBN 0-06-066840-7
- Introducing Redemption in Christian Feminism (editor), Continuum (1998) ISBN 1-85075-888-3
- Christianity and the Making of the Modern Family , Beacon Press (2001), ISBN 978-0807054079
- Fifth chapter of Transforming the Faiths of Our Fathers: Women Who Changed American Religion , edited by Ann Braude. (2004) ISBN 1403964602
- The Wrath of Jonah: The Crisis of Religious Nationalism in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict , Augsburg Fortress (2002) ISBN 0-8006-3479-9
- Integrating Ecofeminism Globalization and World Religions , Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, Inc. (2005) ISBN 0-7425-3529-0
- Goddesses and the Divine Feminine: A Western Religious History , Berkeley and Los Angeles, 2005, University of California Press. ISBN 0-520-23146-5
- America, Amerikkka: Elect Nation & Imperial Violence , Equinox (2007) ISBN 1-84553-158-2
- Feminism and Religion in the 21st Century: Technology, Dialogue, and Expanding Borders (ed., With Gina Messina-Dysert ), Routledge (2014). ISBN 9780415831949 .
Also see biographical information in Emily Leah Silverman, Whitney Bauman, and Dirk Von der Horst, eds., Voices of Feminist Liberation: Celebrating Writings in Honor of Rosemary Radford Ruether (London: Equinox Press, 2012).
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Rosemary Radford Ruether” . Contemporary Authors Online . Detroit: Gale. 2001 . Retrieved 10 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Hunt, Mary E.”The Life of Scholar Activist ‘Rosemary Radford Ruether.” National Catholic Reporter, October 15, 2014. Accessed January 4, 2016.
- Jump up^ ‘People’ section of Boston University website
- Jump up^ Website of Claremont School of Theology
- Jump up^ LaRosa, Patricia. “Finding Aid for Rosemary Radford Ruether Papers, 1954-2002” (PDF) . Retrieved 15 March 2013 .
- Jump up^ Website of Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
- Jump up^ LaRosa, Patrician. “Finding Aid for Rosemary Radford Ruther Papers” (PDF) . Retrieved 15 March 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Associates | The Women’s Institute for Freedom of the Press” . www.wifp.org . Retrieved 2017-06-21 .
- Jump up^ http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/traditions/prizes/honorary-doctorates/