Oscar Soria (born 1974) is an Argentine political activist, social journalist, and environmental and human rights campaigner, currently serving as senior international campaigner in the Avaaz group . Previously he was the global brand director of Greenpeace and afterwards the media director of WWF .
Soria was also part of the directorate of the British section of Oxfam and a senior advisor to progressive politicians, social advocates and NGO leaders in Latin America and Asia.
Early and personal life
Born in Santiago del Estero in Buenos Aires , Argentina , he went back to his home in 1984 with his family, during the beginning of the democratic transition in the aftermath of the National Reorganization Process . He led many efforts to promote transitional justice, in particular over forced disappearances and the stolen children during the dictatorship in the country.
Soria started his journalism career in the newspaper El Liberal when he was 14, becoming the journalist in the Argentina media, leading high-profile investigative reports on social, environmental and human rights issues. He Was Known for shifting the rules of covering political campaigns , by Refusing visibility to rallies or negative campaigning and Organizing INSTEAD local debates, community forums, offline civic and open-source journalism formats, focusing the discussion in party platforms Rather than candidates.
Since the age of 16, he has been involved in neighborhood organizing, youth work in his community, and mass mobilizations against land grabbing .
In 1993 he founded the human rights and environmental justice movement Salus Terrae , which brought youth activists from rural areas and poor neighborhoods to university students and youth groups of the Catholic Church. With this group, they campaigned for land rights and water access, and successfully stopped deforestation and agribusiness plans, nuclear repositories and mass river engineering projects. The group was known for their high-profile exposures, denouncing illegal toxic waste  and deforestation.  During his campaign against the channelization project called “Canal Federal”, there were notorious public clashes between Soria and the governor of Santiago del Estero, Carlos Juárez, the national environmental secretary María Julia Alsogaray and the president of Argentina, Carlos Menem . 
In 1999 Soria was appointed in Greenpeace , where he was adopted to landmark victories in forest protection and indigenous rights in Argentina.      He also designed a successful campaign towards the reduction of wasteby encouraging individuals to participate in mobile campaigning. 
Soria later designed high-profile campaigns are GMOs , deforestation , pollution and climate change , leading mass global pressure contre companies Such as Nestle , Tata Group , Volkswagen , Mattel or McDonald’s , using subvertising , internet activism , mobile campaigns and other creative confrontational tactics in United States, United Kingdom, Japan, China, India, Russia, Brazil, Turkey and the Netherlands. A political TV show called “the man who shakes companies” 
He has also worked in mining, paper mills and agribusiness in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay.
In February 2012 Greenpeace International to join the global group WWF in its world headquarters in Switzerland  where he led social media campaigns against illegal wildlife trade and climate change.
Human rights and humanitarian issues
After two years in WWF International, Soria left the organization and joined the advocacy operations of Avaaz in the United States to work on a broader agenda.
Representing Avaaz, Soria has been pushed to reach an agreement on Global Compact on Migration and in a UNESCOA huge diaspora is a painful exodus happening, where millions of poor people are displaced by environmental crises. They are often in the process of coming into contact with me, and I am very sorry for them. and desolation, behind their loss of hope, and their despair, and if they have not given up, give up? ” 
Soria also advocated for a stronger Catholic leadership on refugees, praising the decision of Pope Francis to wash the feet of the refugees during Easter in 2016, while calling for a political solution to the migrant crisis in Europe. He said Pope’s gesture was “a very important message to world leaders.”  Few days later, in an opinion piece in La Nación , Soria is called Expired Argentina’s president Mauricio Macri to take more leadership is refugee policy. 
In August 2017, in an interview with Vice , Soria criticized the tactics of the right wing group Defend Europe against refugees in the Mediterranean Sea. The C-Star, a vessel of the identity of the group, originally planned to land at Catania’s harbor and prevent migrants in danger, but the operation was aborted after citizens, unions, migrant workers, faith groups and Avaaz activists blocked the port. Soria later said, “Our lawyers, who had examined the legal position, wanted to know that they would not be allowed to do so, but should do so in order to prevent them. risk at sea. ” 
Soria has written dozens of articles about activism and progressive causes, mainly in Spanish. He Appears Regularly gold Contributes to CNN En Español , New York Times , Vatican Radio , Vice , La Nación , Clarín and Página / 12.
Awards and recognition
Soria was mostly awarded for his work on human rights and environmental issues.
- 1994, Inter American Press Association Award for Investigative Report on Human Rights
- 1994, Asociación de Entidades Periodísticas Argentinas Award for Human Rights and Public Service
- 1994, Asociación de Entidades Periodísticas Argentinas Award for Environmental coverage
- 1997, Inter American Press Association Award for storytelling
- 1998, Merck & Co. Environmental and Poverty
- 2006, 160 Characters Mobile Messaging Association Best messaging app for public sector / not for profit
- Jump up^ Confirmado: al of julio of 1999 Santiago del Estero league of elephants of residuos más peligroso de Argentina | FUNAM. http://www.funam.org.ar(1999-07-01). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ Talan sin control especies in extinción del bosque eachño | Clarin. http://www.clarin.com.ar(1998-10-19). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ Una obra amenaza to Mar Chiquita | The Nacion. http://www.lanacion.com.ar(1998-10-12). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ Greenpeace uses SMS to monitor forest destruction | 160Characters. http://160characters.org(2005-11-7). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ Forest Saved With Mobiles | 160Characters. http://160characters.org(2005-11-7). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ I was there | Greenpeace. http://www.greenpeace.org(2009-04-22). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ Mobile phone for campaigns – stories from MobileActive | MobileActive. http://aspirationtech.org(2005-10-4). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ SMS mobilizes demobilize rainforest destruction | TechPresident. http://techpresident.com(2005-10-4). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ SMS Creates Zero Waste in Buenos Aires | TechPresident. https://techpresident.com(2005-12-12). Retrieved on 2012-06-09.
- Jump up^ El hombre of Greenpeace that hace temblar a las empresas | The Hora of Maquiavelo. https://www.youtube.com/user/lahorademaquiavelo(2010-12-20). Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- Jump up^ WWF International Directors | WWF. http://www.panda.org(2012-03-01). Retrieved on 2013-01-05.
- Jump up^ Soria, Oscar (7 September 2016). “El clamor de los pobres y de la tierra: nuestra peregrinación ” ” [The Cry of the Poor and the Earth: Our pilgrimage] (PDF) (in Spanish) Retrieved 17 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ Hitchen, Philippa (24 March 2016). “Pope’s gesture to refugees as vital sign of welcome” . Vatican Radio . Retrieved 3 September 2016 .
- Jump up^ Soria, Oscar (30 March 2016). “Refugiados: Argentinian liderazgo momento ” ” [Refugees: Time for an Argentine leadership] (in Spanish)Retrieved 17 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ Rowsome, Alice (16 August 2017). “Locals Face Off Against Extremist Anti-Refugee Ship in the Mediterranean” . Vice . Retrieved 8 September2017 .