Ende Gelände 2016 was a large civil disobedience protest movement in Germany to limit global warming through fossil fuel phase-out .
3.500 to 4.000 environmental activists from twelve countries blocked the Welzow-Süd open-pit coal mine and the coal-fired Schwarze Pumpe power station , owned Then by Vattenfall ( Spremberg ), from 13 to 15 May 2016. 
On 15 August 2015, 1,500 activists blocked the Garzweiler surface mine owned by RWE (Ende Gelände 2015).  
Ende Gelände formed in 2015 as a coalition of German environmental groups and “people from the anti-nuclear and anti-coal movements”. 
The activists of the first Ende Gelände 2015 were hosted by the climate camp “Rheinlandcamp”. In 2016 the “Lausitzcamp” hosted the 3500 to 4000 activists and provided infrastructure and support. 
In German, Ende Gelände means “Here and no further”.  Ende Gelände 2016 was part of an international wave of actions called “Break Free from Fossil Fuels”.  
It’s being followed by other events in 2017: in the Rhineland open-pit mines (24-29 August 2017) and at the 2017 United Nations Climate Change Conference (3-5 November 2017).
During the 48 hours of mass action, the coal-fired Schwarze Pumpe power station (described as “Europe’s tenth largest emitter of CO 2 “) was cut to 20 percent of its power for two days. 
The near shutting down of the power plant on the weekend of the Ende Gelände was seen by activists as a great success.  Vattenfall Europe’s chairman of the board said: “It is an absolute new quality, that a power plant is forced to cease its work by the force of electricity. more only affect Lusatia. ” 
The short term goal of the Ende Gelände was to stop the process of Vattenfall selling the mining area. The selling of Lusatia’s coal mining industry was described by Ende Gelände as Europe’s biggest single-power investment. Ende Gelände intended to stop the selling process.  Instead, Vattenfall should have, according to Ende Gelände, financed a social coal phase and cover ecological follow up. 
The mining area Was Eventually, after-Renewed debates in the Swedish Parliament as a direct response to Ende Gelände,  sold to EPH in October 2016. Vattenfall INITIALLY expected to sell for 2 to 3 trillion Euro, goal finally Had to pay EPH 1 , 7 billion for EPH in the region.  Ende Gelände had the motto in 2016 “we are the investment risk”. 
Organisers describes Ende Gelände 2016 as “the largest ever global civil disobedience against fossil fuels”. 
- Climate justice
- Energy transition ( in Germany )
- Fossil fuel divestment
- In German: Ende Gelände 2015 and Ende Gelände 2017
Notes and references
- ^ Jump up to:a b Mass Action blocking German lignite mining finishes after hours 48 , press release of Ende Gelände, 15 May 2016 (page visited in September 28, 2016).
- Jump up^ John Jordan,”The day we stopped Europe’s biggest polluter in ict tracks”, The Guardian , Thursday 27 August 2015 (page visited in September 28, 2016).
- Jump up^ Ende Gelände 2015,350.org(Page visited 28 September 2016).
- Jump up^ “about us – Ende Gelände” . www.ende-gelaende.org . Retrieved 2016-05-19 .
- Jump up^ “Archived copy” . Archived from the original on 2016-09-10 . Retrieved 2016-11-01 . Press Release Lausitzcamp, May 18, 2016
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Oliver Milman, ” ‘Break Free’ fossil fuel protests deemed ‘Largest ever’ overall disobedience” , The Guardian , Monday 16 May 2016 (page visited in September 28, 2016).
- Jump up^ Free Break from Fossil Fuels(Page visited 28 September 2016).
- Jump up^ (in French)Mathilde Gracia,”International Mobilization Against Fossil Fuels”, The World , 13 May 2016 (page visited 28 September 2016).
- Jump up^ Schwarze Pumpe weiterhin blockiert . MDR.de, 15. May 2014.
- Jump up^ https://www.ende-gelaende.org/de/aktion/aufruf/Ende Gelände 2016 Aufruf
- Jump up^ “Ende Gelände … und wie weiter? – Interventionistische Linke” . interventionistische-linke.org . Retrieved 18 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ Riksdagsförvaltningen. “Start” . riksdagen.se . Retrieved 18 January2017 .
- Jump up^ https://www.ende-gelaende.org/de/press-release/vatteinfail-offener-brief-vom-23-06-2016/Press Release from Ende Gelände, German language, 23.6.2016
- Jump up^ https://www.ende-gelaende.org/en/action/call-out/Call for Action 2016, English